My best friend, Shivani Prabhakar, introduced me to this traditional Ayurvedic technique that detoxifies the mouth and body.
That morning when she started talking about it, I was half asleep and half pre-occupied and thought it to be extremely bizarre. But as she spoke, something in my brain screamed WAKE UP & LISTEN. And listen and see I did.
It does not take much for me to be convinced of natural remedies. I started with olive oil and am now using home made coconut oil.
Almost all of you are reading these two words together for the first time.
This ancient ayurvedic detoxifying ritual is supposed to have a zillion health benefits:
– Whiter teeth
– Healthy gums
– Plaque reduction
– Prevents bad breath
– Relief from nasal congestion
– Increased energy
– Decreased headaches, especially migraines
– Clearer mind- Clearer sinuses
– Reduction of stiffness and joint pains
– Alleviated allergies
– Better sleep
– Clearer skin
– Regulated menstrual cycles
– Improved lymphatic system
– Improved PMS symptoms
– Decreased severity of asthma
It is ancient. But the modern world was introduced to it in 1992 by a Dr. F. Karach.
The oil basically acts like a cleanser – it pulls out bacteria and other debris and toxins.
“As simple as it is, oil pulling has a very powerful detoxifying effect. Our mouths are the home to billions of bacteria, viruses, fungi and other parasites and their toxins. Candida and Streptococcus are common residents in our mouths. It is these types of germs and their toxic waste products that cause gum disease and tooth decay and contribute to many other health problems including arthritis and heart disease. Our immune system is constantly fighting these troublemakers. If our immune system becomes overloaded or burdened by excessive stress, poor diet, environmental toxins and such, these organisms can spread throughout the body causing secondary infections and chronic inflammation, leading to any number of health problems.”
– Oil pulling SHOULD be practiced early morning, on an empty stomach. I do it first thing in the morning.
– Put a tablespoon of oil (preferably sesame / olive / coconut / sunflower – cold pressed and / or organic, but not compulsory) in your mouth.
– Swish the oil gently in your mouth for 20 minutes. You HAVE to make sure that the oil reaches all corners of your mouth. Push it, pull it, draw it through your teeth.
– Spit it out – VERY IMPORTANT. This is because the oil is now full of toxins. Rinse out your mouth with warm water and then brush.
Do NOT fill your mouth with oil. Leave some space inside for the oil to move around.
Do NOT gargle.
Do NOT swallow.
Do NOT move the oil vigorously.
Just swish it from one side to the other. Swish swish (from the 8th minute is the part on how to swish).
As you continue swishing, the oil, from being clear and thick, will become thinner and whitish in colour. Swishing activates enzymes that help draw out the toxins in your body.
Do NOT swallow the oil as it contains toxins.
Take a break if you are tired, and hold the oil in your mouth during the break.
NOW, the first day will probably be YUCKY. I spat the oil out in 3 seconds flat. It is NOT pleasing to have oil in your mouth and not be able to swallow it. But I put another spoonful 10 minutes later and 20 seconds is all I could do.
Today, on day 5, I can do a good 8 minutes.
You will soon get used to it.
You HAVE To:
– Swish it for 10 to 20 minutes as it will not be so effective if done for less. AND, if you go overboard, there are chances of the toxins and bacteria getting re-absorbed in the body.
– Brush after oil-pulling. It will thoroughly clean the mouth of the toxins.
It is no magic. I believe it takes about 15 to 25 days of religious practicing to show results.
NOTE: I read that people may notice a detox reaction for the first few days – mild congestion, headache, mucos drainage. I did NOT experience any such thing.
The older you get, the more weak your body tends to become and post 35 / 40, is when health problems start.
Try it for overall well being.
What harm can oil swishing in the mouth do?
Thanks for sharing it Akansha, Ihave also read it somewhere using sesame oil, and I dd it for few days, it really works!
Am beginning to see some results with week 1 just getting over!